Cats/My poor George

Question
My cat George is old around 20. He has lost a lot of weight which we tributed to moving to a house with stairs and as he lost more weight he got more playful so he lost more weight. Now we can feel his spine. He has always since I have had him threw up his food, fat cat at heart he would eat so fast he would make himself sick. He at one point was 26 lBs. He has had a few issues with throwing up water and foam from drinking so fast. He had stopped eating and when we took him to the VET we found out he had a few rotten teeth. After that we gave him wet food and he started to gain a little weight back. Well he is getting thinner. Last night I noticed he smelled really bad. Not like poo. I checked him thinking he peed or pooped on and there was this nasty light brown poo looking stuff. We wiped his butt and he was in a lot of pain. We thought maybe he had the runs. A little later it was back, we gave him a warm bath, did not help. We kept wiping and this stuff kept coming out of his behind. I have heard anything from CRF to the anal glands are infected. I know I need to take him to the VET, but what can I do in the mean time. I work 14 hour days. He seems fine other wise. I love my cat, but as many I can not afford to spend $1,000 or more to make him better, or for tests, so I am not sure what to do. Thank you for any advise you can give!

Answer
Hi
I am sorry there is no advice i can give other than he needs to see a vet and soon. Considering his age you may have to consider that he is just coming to the end of his life, so please be prepared when you go to the vets that he may suggest euthanasia.

You sound like a very caring and loving cat owner and i know you want to do everything you can for your cat. I know vet bills can be very expensive but unfortunately when we take on the responsibility of looking after a cat it is something that we have to be responsible for. If you are struggling with the bill see if their are any animal charities in your area that may be able to help with treatment of vet bills. It is always worth asking.

i do hope that it is nothing serious and that the vet can sort the problem out with medication. In the mean time it sounds as if you are doing everything you can for your cat.

best wishes
Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth