Cats/shy cat hiding under bed

Hi, We just adopted an abandoned kitten (we estimated she was about 10 mos to a year) she just had kittens about 8-10 weeks ago that were adopted elsewhere. We got her a week ago and then she was spayed.  She stays under the bed for most of the day and then comes out at night to eat and roam around the house and sometimes crys.  What can we do to help her adapt to being an indoor cat and to being social in day hours?

Often in cases such as this it is simply time that will help your cat to over come their fears and gain some confidence.
It is important that your behavior around her is confident and not worried as she will pick up on this and will make the problem worse.
make sure her environment is stimulating with toys and climbing things for her, also you can hide treats in toys for her to get out.

Don't try to force her out of her hiding place as this will also make things worse.

the best thing is to let her become confident one room at a time until she is completely happy in her new home etc. try spreading her own scent around the home using a towel, this can help them.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.