Cats/sibling cats

I have 2 cats who are brother and sister.  Normally they are very close, but they have starting fighting during the night.  They are fixed.  Is this a domination issue?  They were semi-feral when I adopted them, and though they are friendly with me now and allow me to pet them, they can still be skittish and will not allow me to pick them up or hold them.  I have tried a laser light to distract them which helps at the time, but I would like to stop the behavior if possible.  Thank you!

yes this sounds like the natural dominace cat behavior. Cats will always have a need to have a top cat in the group and it is quite normal.
uesually what happens is that one cat will come out top and the other will accept this and the fighting will calm down with only an occassional spat.

There isn't really a way to stop this happening full stop. If you are really worried then you may have to consider sperating tem at night.

I have a page about aggressive cat behavior that may be of interest to you here /aggressive-cat-behavior.html

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.