Cats/Agressive behaviour after being spayed

Question
My 6 year old cat Milly has just been spayed.  I got a pup three months ago.  She has always kept her distance but seemed ok with him.  After her operation she has started to meow all of the time and has now started attacking the dog if she is in the same room as him.  The attacks are quite vicious and seems to go totally against her normal behavior.  She had her check up after her op and was told everything was fine.  I have contacted the vet again who thinks it may be due to the stress of the operation and should settle in time, but to take her back if after a few more days if things are the same.

Answer
Hi
yes this is known as trauma aggression and often occurs when a cat has been upset of frightened by something. It could be anything a loud bang, having tail trod on or a visit to the vets. the aggression is just there way of expressing this fear and it is often directed at someone of some thing that had nothing to do with the trauma.

It will subside in time, it may be a good idea to give your cat some space of their own for a few days until they have calmed down and feel happier in their home again. then slowly start to reintroduce the pup See my page about introducing cats the process is the same for other animals here /introducing-cats.html

Don't worry this is a common problem that will calm down

best wishes
Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth