Cats/Anti-social behaviour

Hi, I adopted a cat from a cat adoption program about 2 years ago.  She is a lovely cat, but the only thing is I am the only one who sees it.  She is mixed breed and I fear she may have had bad a bad experience before she came to me. She basically runs and hides whenever anyone comes into the house. She has a tenancy of urinating on one particular couch and does not like cuddles for any more than about 5 seconds.  She will however sit next to me on the couch.  She is very social with the other cats in the neighborhood and regularly brings them through the house for visits. I do adore her, she has such personality, but my friends and family think she is feral - when I know she is anything but.... If there are any exercises you could assist me with to help her, I would appreciate your help. Thank you.

unfortunately most cats develop there behavior towards people at a very young age. After that it is very difficult to change their attitute to other poeple.

Often a cat is able to attach itself to one human while dislikinmg others and behaving in a scared or aggressive manner towards them.

The best thing you can do is to try and bring more poepl into the home and get them to play with the cat. it is very important that when they do that they behave in a non threatening way and try to make themselves as small and unthreatening as posssible. Also they should not look directly at the cat and should not attempt to touch her but to try and engagae them in a game.

Hopefully over time the cat will accept other poeple more rediliy.

I have a web page about playing with a cat etc /cat-toys-play.html

Here is page about bonding with a cat as well /new-cat.html

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.