Cats/Cats voice has gone horse

I just noticed that my cats meow has changed. It now is very horse. She is a 5 year old calico and is indoor and outdoor. She is eating normally, drinking and playing. I have read things like it could be thyroid, cancer and even upper respioratory problems. I have not taken her to the vet due to tight money situation. I was wondering if this is something that I can just watch and see what happens or if it is serious? Thanks in advance.

It depends on how long this has been going on for. If it is only a few days then it could be a simple sore throat that will pass. However if there is a noticeable change and it has been like this for some weeks i don't think i would wait to be on the safe side. It could be something stuck down there like a seed which could become infected or any one of the things you mentioned.

Hopefully it is just a simple sore throat.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.