Cats/Persian Cat

My 2 year old persian cat sometimes just likes to lick random things, furniture, windows, fireplace, painted wood. I am concerned why she does this.  Just for your information she also suffers from cat acne on her chin and any recomendations about this would also be helpful.  I wash her chin twice a day with hibiscrub, vets have tried all sorts but to no avail.  She is now on allerginic diet but the licking started a whilst ago.  I hope you can help. Thank you

I have never come across this before and so cannot advise about the chin acne. It could be agitated by her licking things. The problem is she could be suffering from a  form of Pica which is when cats eat unusual things (see my web page about this strange phenomenon here /cat-eating-disorders.html )

No one really knows what causes it and there doesn't seem to be any way to stop it apart from stopping the cat doing it as soon as you see them.

I am sorry i have not been of any more help.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.