Cats/Removing cooking oil from a cat's fur

Hi there,
My eight-year-old cat Minnie is blind and stumbled into a bottle of olive oil earlier this week, which fell and splashed up one side of her.  She has a patch about the size of my hand that is sticky and yellow (her coat is partially white).  I have tried removing it with soap and water, but it just dries exactly as it was before.  She's not bothered by it, but it looks awful and she's not making much attempt to clean herself.  Can you suggest any way of removing this effectively from her fur?  I have searched the internet only to find that, conversely, cooking oil is recommended as the best way of cleaning a cat's coat!!

rub some talcum powder or corn starch into the fur leave for a few minutes and then brush out. the powder should be able to soak a lot of the oil up. luckily if is only olive oil it won't do him much harm if he licks it.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.