Cats/Strange little kitten

Question
Hi iv had my kitten for 8 months now and she has been fine
but lately she has been attacking me non stop and every time someone tries to
pet her she runs away and hides, she sometimes shakes and  every time i sit on
the floor she bites and scratches me until i get up. she is 10 months old now
and should be used to everyone is this just a faze or is something wrong?

Answer
Hi
no this is a learned behavior.

Kittens and cats don't know right from wrong so biting etc can be seen as a game and not as a bad thing to do. So the secret is to make them understand that biting etc is bad and playing is good. the only way to do this is with negative and positive reactions to their behavior.

A negative reaction is silence and an immediate end to any game or situation. So when they bit don;t say or make a sound get right up and quickly move away from them into another room. this needs to be repeated over and over again every time they bite.

A positive reaction is you talking to them, playing with them with string or toys (never the fingers of the hand) and treats. So when you decide its playtime and they play with out biting make sure you give plenty of verbal fun sounds and the odd treat. if they start to bite, end the game immediately with silence etc. they soon learn that if they want the fun to continue that biting is not the way to get it.

The running a way is probably also a learned behavior and it depends on how people react to it. if you call her and go after her then this is a positive reaction and will continue. Ignore her and she will soon learn that its no fun hiding away if no one comes looking for her.

See my web pages about playing with cats and cat discipline for a fuller explanation.
/cat-discipline.html
/cat-toys-play.html

Hope this helps

best wishes
Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth