Cats/cat over licking

My cat,4 years old, is over licking on front legs and front paws. It's just started and done in a very obsessive manner. Any suggestions - have tried giving him more attention, toy playing etc but he's quite happy to sit in his basket or on my chest madly licking away.
Look forward to your thoughts.

over grooming can sometimes be the symptom of stress in a cat. the other possible cause is a skin irritant of allergy. It is best to first check to make sure that there isn't a medical condition causing the over grooming like mites etc and then if that is not the cause you will have to look at the possibility that something has stressed your cat out and they are over grooming to comfort them selves.

My best advice would be to ask you to read my pages about firstly skin problems in cats and then may page about nervous and stressed cats to enable you to narrow down the possible cause.

here are my links

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.