Cats/Cat pooping right outside litterbox

Hi, I have three cats, aged 710, who have always shared one covered litterbox with no issues.  Recently my 9yr old cat has started pooping right outside the entry of the litterbox.  She's still peeing in the litterbox.  The other two are still using the litterbox correctly.
Nothing new going on in my or the cats' lives...haven't moved the litterbox or switched litter brand or type, etc.
Any ideas for how to correct?
Thanks much.

This kind of behavior can be quite puzzling when it comes out of the blue. this behavior is called middening and is a scenting behavior. It is difficult for me to explain middening in full here, so can i refer you to my web page about it, where it should give you some ideas as to why it could be happening.

It may simply be that your cat has decided that now all of a sudden she would prefer her own litter area. But you are better placed to know what could be causing this sudden behavior. here is my page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.