Cats/Mister - 9 year old male

Question
We went thru Gustav (hurricane) here is baton rouge, la - my cat mister started drooling and not eating nor drinking tuesday 9/09 ( looked in his mouth and tongue was red on end about half inch area), I took him to the vet 9/11 - he had to be hooked to iv for fluids, he was running 104 temperature and put on clavamox(amoxicillin trihydrate/clavulanate potassium) twice a day.  Today is 9/15, tongue is still red and he is still drooling???? we have no idea what caused this, vet thinks he was bit by an insect- he is a inside cat.

Answer
Hi
poor cat sounds very nasty.

I am not a vet and so am not able to say what caused it. It does sound either like a insect bite or something toxic that the cat eat.

I really can't suggest anything that you can do a part from the fact that you must try and make sure that your cat at least drinks something to keep themselves hydrated. Cats milk would be nice and creamy which might entice him to drink.

I really do feel sorry for you all there it must be very frightening to go through a Hurricane, here in the UK things never really get that dramatic. the animals must really suffer too.

My thoughts are with you all and I hope your cat can pull through quickly.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth