Cats/Strange litter tray behaviour

I have a beautiful two year old neutered tomcat called Edgar. He is friendly and sociable, but there is one aspect of his behaviour I cannot fathom. Every time he finishes using his litter tray he meows very loudly two or three times. He doesn't sound remotely distressed, but it's very puzzling. Is he simply telling us that he's finished? Why? The tray is changed every couple of days, so it's always perfectly clean.

I wouldn't worry too much about this behavior. it seems that some cats are a little funny after using the litter tray and have different ways showing it. My own cat when finished will run around the house like mad as if she was frightened by the whole experience.

In your case you may just have a very vocal cat that used his voice more than most. Why he should cry after could simply be his way of saying look how good i have been, who knows but thats what i love about cats they all have their own very distinct character.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.