Cats/Over grooming

My cat has been over grooming for a few days. The vet has taken bloods and
everything is OK except that she has a Urinary Tract infection which is being
treated with antibiotics.  Could this be the reason?  It is driving her crazy.

yes it could be caused by anxiety due to the cat not feeling herself. Over grooming is often a stress issue.

I assume your vet checked to see if she had anything wrong with her skin. My own cat who did not have fleas turned out to be allergic to flea bites and she sometimes get bitten outside the home and it drives her crazy. the vet sometimes has to give her antihistamine injections when it really bad. Luckily it is not that often as the monthly flea treatment seems to keep the little nasties off her.

I have a web page about skin conditions and over grooming for your info here /cat-hair-loss.html

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.