Cats/weaning

Question
Our cat had three kittens 5 and a half weeks ago. Two of the kittens are eating canned kitten food with no problem but the third will not touch it. She will only nurse. I have tried mixing the food with Whiskas cat milk, warming the food, dry kitten food with cat milk, everything I can think of doing. She only wants to nurse and our Mother cat seems to be getting tired of it though she will continue to nurse them. Now she will walk away in the middle of nusrsing them. This one kitten seems a lot more timid then the other tow and seems to sleep more. (I think she is not getting enough food). Is there anything else I can do to help her get used to food?Please help.

Answer
Hi
every litter seems to have one kitten who takes longer to do things than the rest.

I wouldn't worry too much. your queen will as you stay start to refuse the kitten milk and when that supply of easy food is not available the kitten will seek out other food.

You sound as if you are doing everything you can to encourage them to eat and normally they will follow each other lead.

if the kitten refuses to eat and you are worried that it is losing weight then it will probably be a good idea to get them checked by a vet in case their is some physical reason why they won't eat.

But i wouldn't be surprised if within a few days your kitten starts to eat like the others.

best wishes
Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth