Cats/4 yr old cat acting strange

I have 3 cats ages 2-4. They have been with me since they were all 8 weeks old. My male who is 4 yrs old has recently become less active. He seems to keep to himself alone on the bed, when he normally is the 1st in line to play with his laser pointer. He actually will not play anywhere other then on the carpet, when he had always ran all around on any floor surface. He just hasn't been himself, and it gets me worried. He has always meowed at bedtime, I think he likes the attention, but this is something new. He will be 5 in April.

whenever a cats behaviour changes significantly I always recommend that you take the cat to the vets for a check up. Sometimes a change of behaviour can be a signal to some medical condition which may not be apparent to us.

Hopefully he will get a bill of health from the vet but at least you can stop worrying about anything medical. In which case you can just put down his change of behaviour to him calming down as he gets older.

best wishes and a happy New Year

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.