Cats/Cat cold???

I have 3 specifically indoor cats. Two of them seem to have a "cold" sneezing, swollen eyes, and are lethargic. They are both continuing to eat and drink. I was totally unaware that cats could get colds. Neither of them go outside, How did this cold happen? AND other than taking them to the vet, is there more that I can do at home for them? Thank-you

yes cats can get colds just like us, they can also get cat flu which is more sever and cat be dangerous.

Generally as long as they can still eat and drink then they will get over the cold in a few days just like us. How they caught it well it is possible that they could have caught it from us. I know my cat usually gets a cold when I either have one or have been in contact with someone who has a cold.

Just make sure they have plenty to drink as dehydration is the thing to worry about.

i do have a page about cat flu just for future information.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.