Cats/Kittens just left their mother

In early October I  took in a stray cat.  I later found out she was pregnant.  The kittens were born 10-7-08.  Today I found homes for her five kittens.  

She has been calling for them, how long will she be looking for them and is there anything I can do to comfort her.  

I feel bad about giving her babies away, but I am not in a position to take care of 6 cats.  

Please help

don't worry it is natural for a mother cat to be concerned about her kittens but in the wild they would have left her any way. she is probably just a little stressed by the fact that things have changed and the calling helps to calm her.

You can help her by distracting her from this worry with games and making her home environment more stimulating and interactive. Please see my web page about this here for some ideas /indoor-cats.html

I'm sure she will settle down again soon

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.