my cat has hair loss starting around the tail and now spreading to his right side he is also licking and biting and scratching like he has fleas should i apply front line or flea powder will this be a safe thing to do?

Once fur loss has started it is really advisable to have the cat looked at by a vet first just to make sure what has caused the condition. It could be fleas or some other skin allergy or parasite.

Your cat should be treated for fleas on a monthly basis anyway, so once this particular condition is sorted out, starting a monthly flea treatment is advisable to prevent any future infestation.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.