Cats/cat going to the litter box a lot

OUr cat has been going to the litter box a lot more than normal about 5 times
every hour she is awake.  There is not any feces in the box nor are there any
large urine areas, just small urine spots all over the box from the repeated trips.
Any idea what is wrong?

Sounds like it could be a urinary infection. A bit like cystitis where you feel like you need the loo all the time but there is nothing left to come out. It can also be very painful.

I have written a  web page about the problem here

Ultimately a trip to the vets may be in order if the problem persists.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.