Cats/re: cat

my cat is 18 years old and has recently started to sleep in his cat litter tray,this is very unusual for him, i was thinking may he have some sort of dementia

well yes this is quite possible. Older cats can suffer from many of the illness that we humans get, like dementia, loss of sight, hearing and arthritis.

His litter tray will smell very strongly of him and this will be comforting to him, especially if he is having difficulty seeing etc.

The problem is how to deal with the problem. Unfortunately there are no cures for old age ailments like these, we just have to do our best to make life as easy for them as possible.

I would suggest first to have him checked by a vet to assess his general health. This may diagnose some problems which you can then manage.

I have some information on my web site about older cats which you may find of interest. here is the page /senior-cat.html

I am sorry that I was not able to be more specific about your cats issue.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.