My 2 male cats bite each other on the back of the neck. Why? It seems to hurt them.

How do you know it is hurting them? I ask because cats playing can look very vicious to us i.e biting kicking etc but actually they are not really biting and so not breaking the skin.

if your cats are crying out in pain or if you see scratch marks or bite marks then you will definitely know if they are playing or fighting.

It is quite normal for cats to play fight, my own two male cats do it all the time. Its all part of the learning process.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.