Cats/Cat belly bloating

we have a tabby cat that is 12 and his stomach over the last month has looked bloated.  It is soft to the touch and it doesn't hurt if I squeeze him gently, but I have noticed his spine has become very noticeable also.  His habits have not changed and he eats just like he always did.  Just wondering if there maybe something wrong. His belly is perfectly round and sticks out on both sides when you look at him from the front.

it could be a bad case of worms. cats can loose body condition if they have a bad case of worms and there tummies do become distended.

i really think he should see a vet soon for this to have it properly diagnosed and treated.

i hope he is better soon.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.