Cats/Cats pregnancy

Question
Hi, there, i was just reading a question you answered, it was about cats bleeding after giving birth. I have a similar question, plus another!
The first one, is it normal for a cat to give birth to 8 kittens? isn't number a little high?
AND the 2nd question - mum is bleeding but it is only 1 day after birth, but you mentioned that if the blood is a bright red, there could be something to worry about, he blood is bright red, what is causing this? what should i do? please help me?!
Angela

Answer
Hi
no 8 kittens is not too high a number.

As for the bleeding I am not a vet and so would not like to give a diagnosis. I would say that bleeding a little after birth for a few days after wards would not be unusual. It depends on how much and if the cat appears distressed in any way. I don't think the colour of the blood is an issue.

i would say that if you notice any other signs of illness in your cat and if the bleeding continues for another day, i would telephone the vet for advice, they may want to see her or they may be able to waylay your fears.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth