Cats/cat licking

Why does my male cat lick the seat cushions on my sofa?

My cat does this too, i think it is either because we may have spilt something there in the past and they can still smell it (they have wonderful noses for things like that) or it also has something to do with them smelling us which is comforting to them. As you know the nose and mouth are linked and so i think that licking helps to smell the smell and also if it smells of you licking is a sign of bonding, so it's like they are licking you.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.