Cats/cats behavior

My almost 3 year old cat squats like she is peeing but she sits there for a long time and doesn't do anything. She also spends a great deal of time licking herself down there and she never did before. She is fixed so I don't know what the problem could be. Thanks.

It sounds like she may have a UTI infection, a bit like when humans get cystitis, it feels like they want to go but there is nothing to come . Also it is very uncomfortable and this would cause the cat to lick the area.

i would advise taking her to the vets as soon as possible.

I have some information on my site about this issue here

i hope she is better soon

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.