Cats/drooling

Question
i have a 14 year old female cat who for the last 24 hours has been drooling excessively. she is eating and drinking normally and is allowing me to stroke her all over. today she only appears to be drooling after she has had a drink. i have had a look in her mouth and cannot see anything obvious and it didnt cause her any discomfort.

Answer
Hi
drolling may be several things from a foreign body being in the mouth or a bad tooth or even missing teeth. It may simply be caused when the cat is excessivily happy. My old cat would drool when she was being stroked on my lap but not at other times.

As she is an old cat it may be a tooth issue which may not be that obvious to the untrained eye. I would suggest leaving it perhaps another day to see if it continues and if so to book her into the vets for a check up. At 14 years of age if she has not seen a vet for awhile it is always good to get check ups now and again anyway.

best wishes kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth