Cats/Introducing a new cat to an old cat.

I have a 18 year old female cat who is now quite slow, sleeps most of the time, only gets up to eat and drink and use litter tray, rarely wants to go out and if she does is back in a few minutes.
Have an opportunity of acquiring an 8 year old female cat, who is apparently beautifully mannered, calm, wants cuddles and looking for a good home.  
My concern is upsetting my older cat?
Feel situation would be less stresful than a kitten but nevertheless would not want to cause her too much stress.
My old cat is a birman and by their nature quite placid. The other cat is a moggy I believe.  Found after living feral for quite a while and after some visits to the vet needs rehoming. She sounds both perfect and a promising loving cat for me to home. Would be interested in your views. Suppose to call lady tomorrow.

well generally it is recommended that two un related female cats are homed together unless they grew up together etc as they can react rather badly to each other. However not all cats are the same and some are more accepting than others.

There is a process for introducing cats to each other in a safe environment. perhaps you could try this method for a few days to see what the reaction is to each other.

Here is the method

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.