Cats/New Cat Won't Stop Crying

Hi Kate,
I just brought home a new cat yesterday afternoon and he won't stop crying! He's approximately 4 years old and neutered. I volunteer at the shelter he came from and never noticed any problem with excessive meowing. He's fine when you're right next to him, but even when I went to bed last night in the same room, he cried because he couldn't see me. He is unable to jump onto the bed because of a past neurological problem that left him with balance issues. I ended up laying on the floor with him so he would stop, which I now realize probably wasn't a good idea. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

poor little guy he is obviously feeling very nervous and anxious and is using his meows to get attention from you.

Now it should start to calm down after a while as he gets used to his new home but you will have to be careful that he does not become over dependant on you otherwise you will have a cat that meows all the time as habit expecting attention every time.

Social separation anxiety is a real condition for some nervy cats please see my web page about this here for more information

Give him lots of things to distract him from his feelings and new situation

Hopefully he will settle down soon into his new home

best wishes kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.