Cats/Odd behaviour after neutering

Dear Kate,

I have two cats, a 4 year old female and a 6 month old male, and they've been together for about 5 months. About three days ago I got my male kitten neutered, so my female was without her buddy all day. But when I brought him back home that night, my female hissed at him and ran away. Her attitude hasn't changed over the passed couple days.

What happened and is this normal?  

yes this is common. basically your kitten smells different and may look and be behaving slightly differently than normal after his operation. this has frightened the female cat and she is reacting with aggression. in fact it is known as aggression trauma aggression.

You will need to rebuild her confidence with him again in a slow controlled manner, the best way to do this is to spend a few days using the introduction method described here

Don;t worry this is common and with a little care and patience things should return to normal.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.