Cats/Piperazine

Question
Hi, my daughter gave her kitten a deworm medication that is basically piperazine and now the kitten is acting as if is has been overdosed. She is not able to take the kitten to the vet at this time due to finances. Is there anything she can do for the kitten at home to make sure she is O.K.? She has bathed her and given her some pedialyte since the kitten vomited one time and had one time diarrhea. The kitten also is having muscle tremors and seem to not see well. She gave the kitten the medication 2 days ago. I hope there is something she can do.

Answer
Hi
I am sorry there are no home remedies that I can think of that would help here. Only a vet will have the medications which may be able to counteract any adverse affects.

I really don't like the sound of the tremors they could lead on to something worse such as fits etc.

Why not ask your daughter to see if her vet will advise over the phone, sometimes they will say whether or not they definitely need treatment or not, but I suspect that she will need to be seen, as kittens are not as strong and may need urgent treatment.

I hope she is Ok

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth