I was tested by an allergist and the result was a substantial allergy to cats.  A friend of ours had kittens so I did a trial with the kitten for a few days and there were no allergic reactions.  I even rubbed my eyes and nose to make sure.  We have since adopted the kitten, but I have heard that cat dander is different than kitten dander.  Is this true?  Even if I am not allergic to the kitten now, will that likely change as the cat gets older?

Allegies to cats has nothing to do with the fur it is to do with their salivia. they wash themselves, it dries and becomes flaky and this is what can cause allergies.

So it depends on the particular cats and their own hormones etc in the salivia, some may cause allergies more than others.

Also the more time you spend with your cat you will eventualy become less aleergic to therm. My boyfriend is allrgic too but he has found that he is fine with our own cats because of the time he spends with them.

Hope this helps

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.