Cats/allergies

Question
I was tested by an allergist and the result was a substantial allergy to cats.  A friend of ours had kittens so I did a trial with the kitten for a few days and there were no allergic reactions.  I even rubbed my eyes and nose to make sure.  We have since adopted the kitten, but I have heard that cat dander is different than kitten dander.  Is this true?  Even if I am not allergic to the kitten now, will that likely change as the cat gets older?

Answer
Hi
Allegies to cats has nothing to do with the fur it is to do with their salivia. they wash themselves, it dries and becomes flaky and this is what can cause allergies.

So it depends on the particular cats and their own hormones etc in the salivia, some may cause allergies more than others.

Also the more time you spend with your cat you will eventualy become less aleergic to therm. My boyfriend is allrgic too but he has found that he is fine with our own cats because of the time he spends with them.

Hope this helps

best wishes kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth