Cats/cat behavior or symptom?

My six month old kitten was spayed Friday. Monday evening she has an accident on the kitchen floor. She has never done this before (to the best of my knowledge). Do you think this could be due to the surgery?

yes it could be that she is still feeling the affects of the aneathetic which may have confused her or made her feel a little anxious.

cats alos use their urinate not just to scent mark territory but also as a way of making their home smell more like them which helps to calm them down. So it may just be that after the surgery she felt a little anxious etc.

i wouldn't worry too much at this stage, make sure you remove all traces of the urine so that she won't be encouraged to go to that area again.

If she continues to do this then she may benefit from a little re training which will also help to restore her confidence. the process is described here

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.