Cats/Cat peeing

Question
My cat pees out side of his litter box on one certain area. when we [but things down to discourage this behavior like a bucket over the drain he was peeing over, he simply pees around it. We don't know how to make him stop and we have tried to put his litter box in the area but it simply does not work. do you have any how to get him to stop?

thank you.

Answer
Hi
it sounds to me like the area still smells of his urine. Only the tiniest drop will encourage him to go there again. A black light is very good at showing up any remaining spots. also see this page for some ideas about getting rid of the smell

/cat-urine-cleaner.html

Also while you are cleaning the area you could give your cat a period of litter re training using the confinement method. Please see this page for more details on this

/cat-litter-box.html

best wishes kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth