Do cats mark their territory like dogs? I've got a problem with one of the cats in my house, but I'm not sure which. One is very friendly and licks me for attention, but the other is stand-offish. One of them seems to have the habit of uriniating on my bed and just restly defecating. I'm not sure what to make of this since I believed cats preferred cat litter. It can't be one of my two dogs; one is too big to account for the droppings and the other too old to jump up on the bed.

I think the best way i can answer this question is by asking you to read my web pages about this very issue. it can be quite involved and the pages should be able to explain better.

there are two pages one about cat urinating and one about cats defecating outside the litter tray. there is also some information about how to try and stop this from happening again.

here are the two pages , hope they are of some help to you.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.