Cats/Litter training

Question
We have had a rescue cat for two weeks now and he will urinate, but not defecate, in his litter tray. He originally refused to use the tray at all, when it was in OUR preferred spot. So we moved it to HIS preferred spot (at the front door to our flat) where he now urinates in it, but defecates just to the side of it. We have also provided him with a second litter tray, so he can have one for each, but it hasn't made any difference. Judging by his behaviour, it's possible he has used a tray for urination in the past, but is used to going outside for defecation. As we live in a flat it's impossible to let him out every time he wants to 'go', and at the moment it's a bit early to let him out anyway. He's nervous and won't be handled at this stage so placing him in his tray isn't an option. He's 2-3 years old and was given a clean bill of health by the rescue centre. We also put his poo in the tray for a bit after he's made a mistake to give him an idea. He sniffs it but it doesn't stop him utilising the carpet again next time. There are no other cats in the house.  

Answer
Hi
well it is still early days for him in his new home so i am guessing he still feels a little unsure of his new home and is probably using his feces as a scent marker.

i have written several pages on my web site which i feel will be able to help here. onme is about middening (cat pooing inside0 and the other has a process for helping your cat get used to his litter tray in a more less scary environment. i hope they are able to help.

/cat-poo.html

/cat-litter-box.html

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth