Cats/Trying to tame 2 wild kittens

We have 2 wild kittens that a mama cat abandoned recently. I do not know their exact age but i am guessing they are around 14 wks old. We started feeding them solid food when they were around 8 wks old. Now they eat from our hands and will play with us if we have toys (lazer light, kitty fishing pole). They stay under a storage shed all day and come to the carport at night. They will let us pet them as long as we have food but when it runs out they run off and act like they are afraid of us. I just dont understand this. Shouldn't they trust us by now? I would love to keep them for pets. They have their own person- alities & We really love them. Any advice you can give me would be great.  

feral cats can take a very long time to adjust to being domesticated cats and sometimes it never happen eds.

At the moment they are still living as feral i.e outside all the time.

if you do truly want to become their owners then you will have to try to get them into the house to sleep occasionally. you will also need to take them to the vets for vaccinations and soon they will need spaying / neutering.

the more human contact they have at this stage the better, but if they continue to spend most of their time outside, they will always remain and behave like feral's.

I have a web page also about bonding with cats which you may find of further interest here

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.