Cats/biting and scratching

I have a new kitten, he loves to bite me, when he starts I put him down and ignore him so he doesn't think it's a game. He just bites again when he gets near my hands.
I just bought some "soft paws" nail caps how in the heck to people put these on the cats, I just checked "Olivers" nails to see if they are long enough to glue the caps on and he bit the crap out of me. I look like I have been in a battle with the rose bushes from all the bites and scratches. Oliver is 4 months old, he is really a sweet baby boy,except when it comes to the "B%26S" (biting and scratching) part.

well you are doing the right thing by putting him down when he bites. When you do this make sure you make no sound or talk to him etc, also get up and move away from him. It may take some time but he will eventually learn that when he bites he gets this negative reaction.

i have a web page with more on this process for further information

make sure everyone in the household follows this process, other wise he won't get the message.

As for the soft claws, i have heard they can be difficult to use and you have to make sure they don't dig into the soft part of the claw. However as much as i don't think much of them in all cases they are still better than declawing which is awful.

i know how difficult this must be but persistence is the thing. he is still rather young and so he is still learning.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.