Cats/Cat behavior

Question
I have two female cats, and for the last two days one of them has been missing she has recently returned and since then the other cat will hiss and want to fight whenever she is close by, is there any particular reason for this or a way to get them to recognise eachother again? They are sisters and have always been close but are only young at 10 months i didnt expect this to happen after only 2 days please help!

Answer
Hi
don't worry this is a common problem. It is known as aggression trauma. basically something happens which frightens one of the cats and they react with aggression. in this case your other cat went missing which was unusual this may have upset your other cat. Also your missing cat may smell different to normal due to her adventures and where's shes been. again this will frighten the other cat.

The only way to get them settled again is to go through the process as if you were introducing new cats together for the first time described here on my website /introducing-cats.html

Don't worry, if handles slowly and calmly the situation can be rectified.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth