Cats/My cat is suddenly leaving little pee marks everywhere!

I've had my cat for about 5 years now, and he has never had any problems with not using the litter box.  But recently he has been leaving little wet marks in the corners of some of our couches and once in one of my room mates shoes.  We have gotten a new room mate and I thought maybe that could be part of it, but wasn't sure.  What could be the problem?  And how do I get him to stop?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

it sounds to me like your cat is feeling a little unsettled due to the recent changes in the home i.e a new arrival. there will be new things and and new smells and even new routines which he is not used to and this will be making him feel a little nervous and unsettled. this is normal and very common. I have written a web page about it here /cat-urine.html

The behaviour will either subside itself as the cat gets used to the situation or may need some litter retraining if he is finding it difficult to get used to the changes. Again I have a web page about that also here /cat-litter-box.html

the web pages will be able to give you more information about the issues and also help you to overcome them. Don't worry we have all gone through something like this with our cats from time to time.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.