Cats/moving newborn cats

I am taking care of a stray that gave birth last thursday.  She had them in a place where they shouldn't be.  I tried to move them three times, and she keeps moving them back.  As they get older and mover around it's going to become dangerous, because you won't be able to see them at night.  I have a perfect place for them, but how do I get her to keep them there?

simply answer is you can't unless you confine them to a room. Mother cats will always choose their own place for their kittens, this is usually based on how safe they think they will be etc.

All you can do is keep an eye on them. often a mother cat will move her kittens to a another place after a sort while if she feels there is danger. i have seen this happen several times before.

best wishes

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.