Cats/4 week old kitten

I recently got a 4 week old kitten, i tried a cotton swab with warm water on it but I don't know if the kitten released its bladder. How do i know if the kitten is making urinary movements or bowel movements?

the best way is to keep an eye open for wet paper etc, apart from that if they are not going there tummies will get larger and become hard. they will also show signs of ill health by not eating or moving around uch, possibly crying more.

To be honest it is recommended that you put clean newspaper down after every bowel movement so that you know when they have been.

I have several web pages about looking fater a very young kitten such as yours, you may find the information there of interest. Here is the first page the rest are on the top right hand menu on that page

best wishes KAte

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.