Cats/Neglected litter

Question
My cat just gave birth to a litter of six healthy kittens in an open room. Am I able
to move the cats without her getting angry? She has already retreated into the
corner and is letting the kittens crawl around the floor. Is this normal or is she
neglecting them?

Answer
Hi
probably by the time you get this email your mother cat has taken charge and is nursing her kittens normally.

It is important not to handle the kittens too much at first, it is important that the mother cat bonds with the kittens. She will probably move the kittens herself, make sure she has some hwere warm and cosy that she will feel safe in for her new family.

I have some web pages about kitten care which you may find of interest. here is the first page

/kitten-care.html

If your cat is a first time mum then she may take a little longer to get used to her new family but instinct normally kicks in. If it soesn't for some reason then you will have to become mum and this can be quite a task. My pages will give you some information about this too.

best wishes KAte

Cats

Kate Tilmouth