Cats/Neglected litter

My cat just gave birth to a litter of six healthy kittens in an open room. Am I able
to move the cats without her getting angry? She has already retreated into the
corner and is letting the kittens crawl around the floor. Is this normal or is she
neglecting them?

probably by the time you get this email your mother cat has taken charge and is nursing her kittens normally.

It is important not to handle the kittens too much at first, it is important that the mother cat bonds with the kittens. She will probably move the kittens herself, make sure she has some hwere warm and cosy that she will feel safe in for her new family.

I have some web pages about kitten care which you may find of interest. here is the first page

If your cat is a first time mum then she may take a little longer to get used to her new family but instinct normally kicks in. If it soesn't for some reason then you will have to become mum and this can be quite a task. My pages will give you some information about this too.

best wishes KAte

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.