Cats/New kitten for older female

I have an 8 year old female and want to get a kitten for her to play with.  I understand the integration process and have used it successfully in the past.  My question.  What is better for my 8 year old female, another female kitten or a male?  Thank you!

When ever I have visited a rescue centre they have always told me that you should choose a cat of the opposite sex to your existing cat. So a neutered male would be best.

I would say that that there are no guarantees that your cat will get along with a another cat. cats are not pack animals like dogs and do not need the company of another cat to keep them happy. In fact in a cats world another cat is a threat to their territory, so you may end up with some fights on your hands if they don't get along. thought i would just warn you, just in case.

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.