Cats/Out of Town

Every year my family and I go on vacation for ten days to the beach. In the past we have left my cats (total of two) home alone with plenty of food, water and activities. Last Easter one of our cats got sick and passed away, leaving us now with one healthy cat.
My question is this: will my cat be okay alone for the ten days we will be away? I will obviously "cat proof" the house, and leave more than enough food and water and litter. I would have someone come in to check on him, but I'm not really sure who would be able to, and my cat would get more afraid as he is very shy. I considered boarding at the same veterinary clinic that my dog is going to be boarded at but due to how shy my cat is decided against this as I feel it would be too much of a "change shocker". I'm basically looking for if he is going to be okay for the ten days I am away. Also any suggestions regarding anything else I should look into/do?

Thank You!

I would definitely say you should not leave your cat alone for ten days without someone coming in at least three times during the week to check on them, clean their litter tray and freshen the food and water. This is the very least that should be done.

Even if a cat is shy they need some contact and their facilities cleaned up and freshened. Your best bet is to ask a neighbour to pop in for you, that's what we do, it is amazing just how many people are willing to do this , don't be afraid to ask.

best wishes Kate  

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.