Cats/can my cat die

my cat has swollen nipples she had kittens 6wks ago and have stopped nursing ..can she die from this?

well it depends if she has an infection or not. A infection can be easy to treat but left can affect other organs which is potentially fatal.

I'm not sure if cats can get something like mastitus which i know cows get. This is a sort of thickening of the milk which blocks the teats, leading to infection.

My advice would be to have her looked at by a vet to make sure that nothing like this has happened.

Hope she is better soon and congratulations on your new litter

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.