I have two cats (shorthair tigers) and they love catnip, I give them fresh catnip plants occasionally and they deccimate it in no time at all, which is fine, my question is, will catnip cause any problems if eaten in excess?  thank you in advance..Nick

catnip is non toxic but if eaten too much at one time it can cause some vomiting or diarrhoea. Usually cats will self regulate themselves in regards to how much they eat. i/.e before they feel sick.

I have a web page about cat nip which also has a great little video on it about catnip.  here is the page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.