Cats/feline senility

In your experience, is it typical of a cat with feline senility to often walk round and round, stand in corners and at times make that rather sad whining sound?  He is just over 14 yrs old and just recently had this behaviour. The vet says he is fine, just old and not in pain, but he is now becoming a danger to himself. As he wanders far out of normal territory and have found him just sitting in the road, he also fell in and got out of a filled swimming pool.  Would welcome any advice, thank you.

unfortunately yes it is. Some old cats can suffer from similar to dementia in old people. the symptoms you describe are consistent with that behaviour.

I have a web page about senior cats and the changes they go through which may be of interest to you here is the page

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.