Cats/kitten death

Question
late monday night early morning our newborn kitten was calling out and we couldn't tell what was wrong. we thought maybe mom had dried up and the baby was hungry so we contacted a vet and got a homemade kitten formulas till we could get to the vet to buy some and a bottle. the kitten wouldn't eat. it was very strong physically and verbally.
my girlfriend sat up with it until 3:00 in the morning then went to bed. we woke up at 7:15am and the little had passed away sometime in between then. could you tell us what possibly went wrong? we are very saddened at this happening and want to be better prepared in the future to prevent such a loss.

Answer
Hi
i am so sad to hear of your loss. As to what could have caused it well this is difficult to say as it is not uncommon for newborns to die unexpectedly. It may have been a birth defect which is impossible to see or do much about.

The thing is not to blame yourselves for anything, you did everything you could for this little chap but sadly sometimes it is out of our hands. i have a web page about kitten health etc which explains a little more about some problems that can occur which you may find of interest./kitten-health.html

However without a autopsy it is practically impossible to know what may have caused the problem.

best wishes Kate

Cats

Kate Tilmouth