whenever my cats wakes up he seems to get a small amount of gunge under his eye and sleep. I know sleep is probably normal but i wonder whether the gunge is something to worry about. we are putting warm salty water on it. should this help? THANK YOU

You did not mention how old your cat was. I ask because as cats get older they can start to get little weepy eyes. My own cat does now and she 15+, we always have to wipe her eyes to remove the gunge.

Of course, if it is more excessive then he may have a little eye infection that would need some treatment. But the only way to know for sure is to check with your vet.

i do have a web page on my site about common eye problems which you may find of interest also

best wishes Kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.